Saturday, April 30, 2011

Post-race, catching up

When I last blogged, I was anxiously awaiting my live television debut. Let me tell you, it was quite the experience.

I did not realize how nervous I would be. I was okay before the show started. I chit-chatted with a couple of the guests, and also with the host. We went over what I would be doing, and it all seemed fine. Then, the show started. Live TV. I quickly started feeling warm under the lights, and my nerves got to me. By the first commercial break, I was ready to walk off. I felt light-headed, hot and sweaty, just awful.

We got back from commercial, and, luckily, I was out of frame. I thought I might pass out. I had my head on the podium, hoping for an end to this misery. Shortly after that, the host threw it to me, so I sucked it up and took us to the next break. This continued until I got a drink of water, and finally started to feel okay.

By the end of the show, I was feeling more like myself. Maybe it was the humongous coffee I drank on the way to the show, along with my nerves, that created this perfect storm. If and when I do that again, I won't be downing 24 oz of coffee before I go on.

--

Since then, I've been working on more videos, averaging about 1 a week for the last couple of weeks. My personal schedule got a little busier when I agreed to help out with my oldest daughter's soccer team, and that has cut into my vlogging time. Also, the weather here has been downright nasty! Up until a few days ago, we had rain and storms every day for 9 or 10 days. We even had a tornado hit a church behind our house, then touch down again at a trailer park about a mile from here. Our house had some minor damage, but luckily, no one was hurt

--

Lastly, I ran the Kentucky Derby Festival mini-marathon today. I must say, I did better than I expected. Conditions were great: clear skies, temps were ideal, and the support was fantastic. The course got a last-minute change, which ended up being great. I thought the 4-mile stretch of 3rd Street was going to be dull, but the folks that lined up along the course kept things lively. Along with that, there was plenty of shade.

Let me just say that the city of Louisville has a lot of beauty and history, and they highlighted that wonderfully with this course. And the people that came out to cheer on the runners were phenomenal! They helped make this a fantastic day for me and the thousands of others who ran.

Thank you, Louisville!

I felt like such a rock star when I typed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment